Alappuzha Beach- Kerala
Alappuzha Beach located in Kerala is renowned for serving as host to annual cultural events such as the Sand Art Festival. This extremely scenic beach is located in a town called Alappuzha in the Alappuzha district and is also known as Alleppey. It is also connected via an approximately 150-year-old pier to the sea. In addition, this beach is surrounded by large networks of freshwater rivers lakes, and lagoons. Furthermore, there are remnants of historic structures located on this beach. Alleppey or Alappuzha beach can also be described as a popular ‘picnic spot’. There is a lighthouse in close proximity to this beach, which serves as a major tourist attraction. A few years ago, camel rides were introduced and has become popular with tourists visiting this beach.
a. How to reach Alapuzzha Beach?
Alappuzha Beach Map
The closest railway station to this beach is located in Alapuzzha. The Alapuzzha Railway Station located at about 1 km from this beach is well connected to major cities in the country.
The ideal starting points to this beach would be Kottayam, Vagamon, Kochi, Madurai, and Coimbatore.
There are two routes available from Kottayam to this beach via Kollam -Theni Hwy/Main Central Rd and Alappuzha – Changanassery Rd which takes about 1 hour 26 minutes, and via SH-40 which takes about 1 hour 45 minutes.
There are three routes available from Vagamon to this beach via Ettumanoor – Erattupetta – Poonjar Rd/Ettumanoor – Pala – Poonjar Rd and SH40 which takes 3 hours and 2 minutes, via Alapuzzha-Changanassery Road which takes 3 hours and 2 minutes, and via SH-14 and Alapuzzha-Changanassery Road which takes about 3 hours and 6 minutes.
There are two routes available from Kochi to this beach via NH-66 which takes 1 hour and 47 minutes and via SH-15 and SH-40 which takes 2 hours and 21 minutes.
There are three routes available from Madurai to this beach via NH-85 and via NH-183 which takes 6 hours and 28 minutes, via NH-744 which takes 6 hours and 47 minutes, and via NH-44 which takes 7 hours and 9 minutes.
There are two routes available from Coimbatore to this beach via NH-544 which takes 5 hours and 14 minutes and via NH-544 and Main Central Road which takes 5 hours and 54 minutes.
The closest airport to this beach is in Kochi at a distance of 90 km. The Kochi Airport is well connected to major national cities as well as international
b.Climate and the best time to visit the Alapuzzha Beach:
The climate at this beach during the summer season which begins in March and ends in May is “hot and humid” with the temperature ranging from a maximum of 38 degree Celsius to a minimum of 23 degree Celsius. The rainfall received during the monsoon season which begins in June and ends in September is “heavy”. Meanwhile the winter season which begins in December and ends in February is “pleasant” with the temperature ranging from a maximum of 30 degree Celsius to a minimum of 15 degree Celsius. So the ideal time to visit this scenic beach is from December to February.
c. Things to do and Places to visit around the Alapuzzha Beach:
There are a number of things to do at the Alapuzzha Beach. They are as follows:
- Alapuzzha Lighthouse: Is located in close proximity to this beach and attracts a large number of tourists. Apparently it was constructed in 1862 . Tourists are only allowed to visit it in between 3 to 4.30 pm. Furthermore, a fee of Rs 20 and Rs 50 is charged for domestic and international tourists respectively.
- Amaze World: Is an amusement park located in close proximity to this pristine beach. This park includes a number of rides for kids as well as 3D-theater.
- Shopping: There are number of shops found in areas such as Mullakkal Street located in close proximity to this beach that sell products such as spices, rugs bags etc.
- Recreational activities: The pristine and the serene environment of this beach makes it an ideal spot for playing outdoor sports such as volleyball, football etc.
- Camel Rides: A few years Camel rides have been offered at this beach, which gradually became popular. However, it has apparently got banned.
- Water Sports activities: There are a number of water sports such as surfing, swimming, parasailing, boat races, high speed boat rides etc that are available at this beach. In addition, this beach is also renowned for providing houseboat holiday packages.
7. Restaurants: There are number of restaurants located around this beach that provides for a variety of cuisines include North Indian delicacies. For example a restaurant called Chakara located around this beach is famous for a dish called “Alleppey Fish Curry”. Additionally, this restaurant also serves alcohol.
d. Interesting Facts:
A popular event known as the ‘Alapuzzha Beach Festival’ is celebrated over here. It is organized every year, and attracts a large number of tourists from across the country. A Sand Art Festival was organized on April 26th 2015. This event saw many national and international renowned sand artists participating in a competition. Apparently, this fun festival was jointly organized by Alleppey Foundation and state tourism department.